The Brecksville Women's Club, Inc. is an outgrowth of the Women's Committee of the Brecksville Little Theatre. It was organized on September 26, 1949, by a group of young women who felt the community needed a cultural, philanthropic and social outlet for the women in the area. The years since then have proven it was a wise move.
The charter members were Mrs. Richard Gaub, Mrs. Clifford Haget, Mrs. Kenneth Hoffman, Mrs. Robert A. Hoffman, Mrs. Henry Huefner, Jr., Mrs. K. C. Jones, Mrs. Adelbert Kohler, Mrs. Theodore Lang, and Mrs. Thomas Layport.
The club grew to 24 by the following June. At the end of 1950-51, the membership stood at 38. If this seems small, remember that Brecksville was just a village then and it would be 12 years before it would grow to 5000 people and city status. We now have about 130 members.
In its first year the club decided it must counter its varied programs with doing things for other people. Consequently, it undertook the giving of monthly parties at Hawthornden State Hospital (now Northcoast Behavioral Care System), gave assistance to Squire Rich Museum and gave an award to an outstanding senior girl at Brecksville High School. Financial support is now given to several other charitable organizations, including Theatre on the Square, Yuletide Hunger Fund and Parma Hospice. To fund these organizations, BWC initially had a fall luncheon. In 1973, a second fund-raising event, the President's Ball, was added to the club's activities and provided a lovely event for club members and their guests. After ten years, the ball's popularity declined, so for several years a variety of fundraising affairs have been enjoyed. For the last several years our main fundraisers are a social in the fall and a fashion show in the spring.
The Brecksville Women's Club has been incorporated since 1967, and has been a member of the Federation of Women's Clubs of Cleveland since 1963. Since then, the club has received numerous awards from the Federation for its volunteer work, its yearbook, and general program of activities.
During the club year 1992-1993, the Federation of Women's Clubs of Cleveland legally dissolved its organization thus bringing to a close this thirty year affiliation and activity of Brecksville Women's Club.